Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day with a Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie!



In case I forgot to mention it in previous posts, I actually do have the best mother in the world.  Despite the fact that she and my father used Dr. Spock’s Baby and Child Care book, (Remember the controversy over that one?), my childhood was thankfully “normal.”  In many ways, my mother was ahead of the curve with the ways in which she stimulated our little developing brains.  We probably watched too much TV, but then again, how much television could you watch with only three channels: 3, 6 & 10?  When channel 12 went on the air, it was like we hit the lottery.

Mom took care of the “book learning” department, and encouraged us to read, write, and be creative.  She certainly set the example, always writing, serving as a correspondent for The Pottstown Mercury for more than thirty years.  She was always reading a book.  Unfortunately, her ability in the area of music, (she was an accompanist at Parker Ford Church for almost sixty years), did not rub off on us.  Dad was into a myriad of other interests, including sports, hunting & fishing, and things like woodworking, ham radio, and photography (he had his own darkroom).  They complemented each other perfectly.  I’m not sure how many people can say they never heard their parents argue, but I’m one of them.  (My own kids can’t make that claim.)

Mom is the oldest of four sisters whose parents died in their forties.  My mother was just out of high school.  The youngest, Frankie, was in eighth grade.  My mother became the breadwinner for the sisters and they had a chaperone of sorts move in with them.  Needless to say, the Kugler sisters are very close.  My mother has been a consistent diary writer and I’ve read some accounts about my dad coming on the scene, initially helping with mowing the grass and fixing things for the sisters.  I like knowing that about my dad.

In recent years, Mom has experienced some TIA’s, or “mini-strokes” as they are called.  Fortunately, it has only affected her short-term memory, and Mom can function almost normally otherwise.  She just can’t remember what we just talked about, or what she came to the kitchen for, or where she put her glasses.  (Sounds like most of us, doesn’t it?)  When the questions she asks are repeated, I try to answer them like they’re being asked for the very first time.  I do admit that I sometimes change the answers just to entertain myself.

“What are you doing now that you’re retired?”

“Well, I thought I’d do things that I’ve never done before.”

“That’s nice.”

“Like robbing a bank.”

“Well, I can’t support that!”

She has never lost her sense of humor.  She also always has a crossword puzzle close by, and after reading the front page headlines and the obituaries, completing the crossword puzzle (in pen!) is next on her agenda.

Thanks for everything, Mom!  You really are the best!

In honor of my mother, I’m naming this smoothie recipe for her.  It’s the "Kugler Special."

“Kugler Special” Smoothie
(Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana)


Ingredients:
1 cup milk
4 Tablespoons hot cocoa mix
2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 medium banana
¾ cup vanilla ice cream

Directions:
Blend the mixture each time you add an ingredient.  This cannot be beat!  Well, it can be blended…but not beat!  This smoothie is not for the faint of heart.  Check out the calorie count:

1 cup milk - 122 calories
4 Tablespoons hot cocoa mix - 140 calories
2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter - 190 calories
1 medium banana - 200 calories
¾ cup vanilla ice cream - 210 calories
TOTAL - 862 calories

Oh, what the heck.  It's Mother's Day!  Take your time drinking it, as it will want to slide down quickly.  Savor the taste!

Happy Mother’s Day!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment