Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cauliflower Soup



Jay Renninger and I must have the same exact taste buds.  No matter what recipe he recommends to me, it’s a homerun.  This post’s final product is no exception.  I’m guessing that there are others out there with similarly-aligned taste buds who will adopt this soup as their new favorite…and this is the time of year to enjoy it!

It was earlier this summer when I bumped into Jay at Mowrey-Latshaw Hardware Company on Main Street in Spring City.  “Latshaw’s” is a location where I routinely take some abuse.  It probably has something to do with the fact that I’m related to everyone who works there.

When Jay saw me, it was almost as if he had been prepared in advance.  “When the cauliflower comes in this fall,” he started the conversation, “I’m going to see that you get the best recipe you’ve ever had for cauliflower soup.”

Sure enough, the cauliflower came in and so did an email from Kim Wolfram, indicating that Farmer Jay had asked her to send me her cauliflower soup recipe.  

Click on this or any image to enlarge it.
Kim even attached the recipe card, and then noted that my wife was her fifth grade teacher at Oaks Elementary.  Small world!

Look how thick!  Can you see the face?
The soup is amazing!  It’s very thick; so thick, I didn’t think I would be able to blend it in my 1979 vintage Osterizer Pulse-Matic Blender.  Unless you have one of the new soup-sized blenders for both cooking and pureeing soups, plan on dividing the liquid into three or four portions as you blend the same fraction of the cauliflower and sautéed onions.

I put the flour and all of the spices
in a cup so that they could be
added to the milk & water all at once.
The recipe is simple, straightforward, and easy-to-follow, so I’m not going to add much to it.  I started by heating the cup of milk and cup of water in the microwave first.  

I use a basket steamer insert.
Don't forget to cover the pot.
Then I started to steam the cauliflower and sauté the onions.  

While they were cooking, I combined the liquid ingredients and spices in the blender for five minutes.  As a result, there was very little down time.

Enjoy this fall favorite, and don’t forget to get your cauliflower at Renninger’s.  They are beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment